Lost & Found
SI is not responsible for items left behind by students on campus, but Campus Security would like to provide a convenient mechanism for assisting in the return of lost items to the owner. This policy establishes a procedure regarding the handling and return of items found on campus, the disposition of unclaimed items, and a mechanism to track items reported lost.
The Lost and Found Procedures provide instructions for handling and tracking items found and turned in to security guards, and items reported as lost.
Procedure for Found Items
- All found items should be turned in to the Deans' Office before 3 p.m. each day. The Deans' Office will temporarily store items in their office until they are collected by the security staff at 4 p.m. Students should check with the deans for lost items. Security staff will work with the Deans' Office to make every attempt to contact the owner, if sufficient identification is on the item to facilitate a quick return to the rightful owner.
- Guards will record items of value such as AirPods, iPads, phones, and wallets on the log sheets at the time they are turned over by the Deans' Office. Information requested in the logbook will help to ensure items are accounted for and returned to the rightful owners.
- Items of value such as phones, keys, AirPods, iPads, wallets, etc., will be kept in a secure location.
- All other lost and found articles, such as textbooks, water bottles, and clothing will be put in the bin located in the Student Center, outside the Prep Shop.
- In order to claim a found item, the owner must describe the item as closely as possible. After ownership is established, the owner will sign for the item. AirPods now offer free engraving at the time of purchase. It is recommended to engrave your student's name and telephone number on all items of value.
Procedure for Lost Items
A log sheet will be made available at the main reception desk for those who report missing items. A person may list a lost item along with their name, email address, or phone number. A security staff member will contact the owner if identified when the item is collected by a guard or turned in to the security office. Completed logbook sheets will be kept on file at the security office. Owners can claim lost items at any time by calling the security cell phone number to arrange collection, including after school or on weekends.
Items in Lost and Found which are not claimed by the end of each semester will be disbursed. Items of value will be taken to the director of security's office. Non-reusable items will be disposed of. All reusable items will be appropriately donated.