African American & Latino Parents Association Mission:
Who We Are: The St. Ignatius African American and Latino Parents Association (AALPA) is a multicultural, multiracial group of volunteer parents, grandparents and guardians. AALPA promotes family equity, education, support and mentorship via social and networking opportunities. Through outreach efforts in our communities, AALPA seeks to raise awareness of the educational opportunities at St. Ignatius College Preparatory for Latino and African American students. AALPA partners with the Admissions Department to enhance enrollment diversity. AALPA supports SI’s mission of enhancing the diversity of cultures in the school and is committed to fostering safe, welcoming environments wherein all forms of diversity are honored and valued.
Other Goals of AALPA: Support the student efforts of ALAS (Association of Latin American Students and BSU (Black Student Union).
Collaborative efforts with SI Parent Groups, The Ignatian Guild, SI Father's Club and SIPAC (not necessarily in that order.)
ALAS: Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, 6-9 p.m.
BSU: Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024, 6-9 p.m.
- Co-President: Ana Maria Johnson
- Co-President: Ann Shaw
- Secretary: Monica Loos
- Admissions and Community Outreach Chair: Jaime Alvarez
- DEIB Liaison: Renee Thierry-Jones
- DEIB Liaison: Belinda Arriaga
- Parent Alunmni Liaison: George Gamarra
- Mentor Parent Liaison: Marisol Durand
- Mentor Parent Liaison: open
- Ignatian Guild Liaison: Priscilla Flores
- Ignatian Guild Liaison: Lourdes Cordero
- Fathers Club Liaison: Daniel Flores
- Fathers Club Liaison: Julian Ware
- ALAS Showcase Chair: Ana Maria Hughes
- ALAS Showcase Chair: Sussette Mejia Valentini
- BSU Showcase Chair: Renee Thierry-Jones
- BSU Showcase Chair: Nicole Jack
Please join us for AALPA’s monthly meetings. They are great opportunities to connect with fellow Black/African American and Latino parents and the SI community. Meetings often have guest speakers discussing topics of interest to this community and are typically held the third Wednesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m. All are welcome.
2023-24 General Meetings
- Aug. 30, 2023, 6 p.m., Library/CATS Center
- Sept. 20, 2023, 6 p.m., Library/CATS Center
- Oct. 18, 2023, 6 p.m., Library/CATS Center
- Nov. 15, 2023, 6:30 p.m., AALPA+SIPAC / Carlin Commons
- Jan. 17, 2024, 6 p.m., Library/CATS Center
- Feb. 21, 2024, 6 p.m.,Library/CATS Center
- March 20, 2024, 6 p.m., Library/CATS Center
- April 24, 2024, 6:30 p.m., AALPA+SIPAC /Library/CATS Center
- May 15, 2024, 6 p.m., Library/CATS Center
For any questions about AALPA, upcoming events or to be added to the AALPA emails, please send an email to AALPA@siprep.org.